08-2016 Firewise Bulletin (Printable Report)
Peggy Beach, FireWise Ambassador
264-0463, firstname.lastname@example.org 937 San Juan Dr.
The rains have come! What a relief; but there’s still work to be done.
I have a chipper lined up to come to Loma Linda, chip each property owner’s piles of slash, and willing to charge by the half hour! Let’s get the chipping done this month.
Call Peggy Beach if you have even small piles of slash…you might consider working with your neighbors to combine your stacks. If you can’t be home on the Chipping Day, not a problem…I can show the chipping crew where your slash is stacked and whether you want the chips in a pile or distributed.
Tips to save you money: >
- Pile your stacks beside the road or your driveway for easy access to the chipper. >
- Stack the branches with the cut ends together. The cut ends are fed into the chipper first. It takes time to unscramble a tangled pile.
Below is a list of virtual workshops being offered to Firewise Community homeowners by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). These workshops are an excellent opportunity to expand our knowledge and understanding of the behavior of wild fires and how we can help defend our homes against them.
Registration is now open for the second session of the 2016 Firewise Communities Ask an Expert Virtual Workshop series on Tuesday, August 16 at 1pm MDT. This month’s Get to Know the Home Ignition Zone presenter is Gary Marshall, with NFPA’s Wildland Fire Division. The July “Power of Embers” workshop received great feedback and had 212 registrants.
Pre-registration is required for each session. Additional information can be found at: http://www.firewise.org/online-courses-and-education/virtualworkshops.aspx.
Each workshop provides a conference quality, free learning opportunity with leading researchers and practitioners in an interactive format. Every session closes with a fifteen minute live Q & A with the topic’s guest presenter. Please consider sharing the information with your community’s residents, on your website and in your social media outreach. 2016
- Workshop #2 – Tuesday, August 16 at 1pm MDT: Get to Know the Home Ignition Zone
- Workshop #3 – Thursday, September 16 at Noon MDT: Understanding Insurance in the Wildland Urban Interface
- Workshop #4 – Tuesday, October 11 at 11am MDT: Community Risk Reduction Success Stories
- Workshop #5 – Wednesday, November 9 at 1pm MDT: Wildland Urban Legends – Part 2
For further information or to sign up for the Chipping Day, contact our FireWise Ambassadors: Peggy Beach, 264-0463, email@example.com Al and Jo Myatt, 264-1125, firstname.lastname@example.org